Vanilla JS Projects
With a Vanilla JS Projects subscription, you’ll get new vanilla JS projects to work on each month—with starter templates, solution videos, and completed source code.
How it works
Sample project: building a DOM manipulation micro-library.
Vanilla JS Projects is an open-ended, monthly subscription service.
- 1. Try to solve a coding challenge
- Each month, you’ll get one or two new vanilla JS projects to work. Each project comes with a template and instructions to help you get started.
- 2. Watch the solution video
- 3. Connect & Share
- To help support your learning, you can collaborate with your fellow students in an exclusive private Slack channel. Ask questions, share what you’re learning, and get unstuck.
What You’ll Learn
Work on fun projects!
You get access to an archive of previous projects. Here are some of the projects members have gotten to work on.
- Tip Calculator
- An app to calculate how much each person owes, with tip, on a dinner bill.
- Browser Storage Library
- A small vanilla JS library to make working with
sessionStoragea little bit easier.
- Who’s Driving?
- An app that let’s you randomly pick a drive from a group of a friends.
- DIY Micro-jQuery
- Build your own mini-jQuery DOM manipulation library with a few commonly used helper functions.
Don’t go it alone! Get the support you need to build amazing things.
You get exclusive access to a private Slack channel just for Vanilla JS Projects members. You can chat with other students, get feedback on code, and ask questions.
This is not available for sale at any price, and my students regularly tell me it’s one of the most valuable things I offer.
Project-based training on a budget
If you learn best by working on projects, but don’t have the time or money to spend on an intense bootcamp-style program, Vanilla JS Projects is a great option.
It’s a fraction of the price of my Vanilla JS Academy training program—without the structured curriculum or intense focus and time demands. It’s also a great way apply your new skills after the Academy program if you’ve already gone through it.
- Learn modern best practices and code patterns.
- Spend less time Googling and more time working on cool stuff.
- Stop wasting time and energy on out-dated blog posts and hostile web forums.
Your 100% Money-Back Guarantee 💰
About the Instructor
Ready to join?
- New projects every month
- Starter Templates
- Solution Videos
- Source Code
- Access to an archive of past projects
- Exclusive Slack Access
Frequently Asked Questions
- What’s the difference between Vanilla JS Projects and the Vanilla JS Academy?
- While both programs offer project-based training, they’re quite different in their approach.
The Academy is an intese, fast-paced, and structured learning curriculum over a finite period of time. It also includes a live office hours components. A Projects subscription is less structured much less intense. While it includes peer support on Slack, there are no office hours.
- I already own the pocket guides and/or have completed the Vanilla JS Academy. Will I learn anything new from a Project subscription?
- How much of a time commitment does a Projects subscription involve?
- Each month’s project(s) will take approximately 1 to 4 hours to complete. That number could be bigger or smaller depending on your level of experience and how much effort you want to put into it, but generally speaking, you’ll get more out of the program if you put more into it.
- Does the Projects subscription cover new ES6 methods?
- Yes. Where applicable, I cover new ES6 functions and browser APIs. I also include polyfills when available to push browser support as far back as possible.
- Do you offer a student discount?
- Absolutely! This applies to anyone in any type of schooling, including evening classes and coding bootcamps. Learn more about student discounts.
- I have a poor exchange rate in USD. There’s no way I can afford this.
- I totally get that in some countries salaries and cost of living are such that the Vanilla JS Academy is unaffordable. Send me an email at email@example.com and I’ll send you a discount to make it fair for where you live.
- I’m not a student. Any other discounts?
- Yep. I’ve had a lot of helping getting where I am, and I want to pay it forward. If you’re a member of an under-represented group in tech, you can get special pricing. Learn more about discounts for under-represented groups in tech.
- Do you have a refund policy?
- Absolutely! If you’re not 100% satisfied with Vanilla JS Projects, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org sometime in the first month of your subscription, and you’ll get a full refund. You can cancel at any time.
- After I sign up, how do I access the projects?
- Visit https://courses.gomakethings.com and create an account with the email address you used to make your purchase. You’ll be able to join the Slack channel, and have access to the library of current and past projects.
- Are there any restrictions on the video archives and course code?
- Nope. I trust you to do the right thing. My content is 100% DRM free. If you think others might enjoy a Projects subscription, please email me at email@example.com for information about team pricing.
- Do I need any special tools or equipment to complete the projects?
- All you need to go through the program and work on the projects is a modern web browser and a text editor (I recommend VS Code). The solution videos are streaming HD and can also be downloaded, so you can watch any device you own.
- Are there any rules or requirements for participating in the Slack channel?
- Yes. You must be at least 18 years old, and read and agree to follow the Code of Conduct.
- I have another question.
- No problem! Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Not ready yet? Get daily developer tips.
I send out a short email each weekday with code snippets, tools, techniques, and interesting stuff from around the web. Join 5,700+ daily subscribers.
If you have any questions about anything, feel free to send me an email at email@example.com.